Pretty recently, about 2 months ago, I met my new BFF, and their name? Coconut oil. Seriously, this stuff DOES IT ALL! Not only does it do it all, but a little goes a long way, which is great considering you're gonna be using it a lot. I have found that coconut oil works better on so many things than the products specially designed for those uses. Of course, it's got many uses in the kitchen, but today I'm going to list only beauty uses.
First up, let's start with the fact that it's an AMAZING moisturizer for your skin, your body, your nails, your hair. Here's some examples:
1) You can use it as a mask for your hair. Apply a small amount to your ends (wet or dry) either in the shower or out of the shower, and let soak for at least 5 minutes. You can even allow it to sit on your ends overnight while you sleep and wash it out the next morning. Make sure to thoroughly wash your hair to get all of the oil out.
2) You can use it as an all over body lotion. Considering how moisturizing it is, it absorbs quickly into the skin, with little residue. It looks really shiny on the skin, leaving you that sexy healthy glow, but surprisingly your skin doesn't feel greasy.
3) You can shave your legs with it! Coconut oil is literally the BEST STUFF EVER for shaving your legs. Bonus: your legs feel so silky smooth afterwards you don't even need to apply a moisturizer. This is perfect for days you're running late and you need to multitask! I'm all about multitasking!
4) You can use it as a lip balm! It's especially good for the winter, and for overnight while you're sleeping and you need something thicker to protect your lips. If you have an empty tin from an old lip balm, just wash it out and scoop some in it. Plus you're reusing and recycling it's good for the environment!
5) It works really well on eczema patches. I have a super stubborn one right near my arm pit that just won't quit. I apply this stuff once every few days, and I'm starting to see and feel a difference.
6) You can use it to soften cuticles and moisturize bare nails.
7) You know those stubborn rough dry patches you get on your heels? Say bye-bye because it softens them right up! You'll be looking beautiful in your sandals!
8) Because of my OCD, I wash my hands constantly, which results in dry skin. This stuff works wonders on your hands! I recommend applying a liberal amount at night, really getting in between your fingers and all the nooks and crannies, and covering them with either cotton gloves or clean cotton socks. When you wake up, your hands will be super soft!
Pretty much, if you have skin (which I really hope that you do), you can benefit from this stuff. The scent is so light and natural, so wherever you use it, that scent will linger. Because I have super oily and acne prone skin, I haven't even attempted to put this on my face. So I can't speak to the benefits of that. But, if you really stubborn dry flaky skin, I imagine that coconut oil will help clear it up! It's noncomedogenic, so it won't block pores!
As if those reasons weren't enough to convince you, here's some more:
1) You know how everyone has one eyebrow that just doesn't play nice with the other? The hairs grow all crazy, and it just has a mind of its own. Well, if you take a little dab of this stuff on a clean mascara wand, you can shape and hold the hairs in place. Crazy eyebrow no more!
2) It makes an excellent massage oil because it's so long lasting. You can even add some sexy essential oils and have a romantic night with your loved one! ;)
3) If you're anything like me, it's a challenge to find something to remove your eye make up without feeling like your eyes are on fire. This stuff not only takes off your makeup in it's entirety, but it does so without burning your eyes. Your eye area is so delicate and sensitive, and coconut oil is the perfect product for that area. All you have to do is take a cotton ball, apply a small amount to it, and gently rub all your eye makeup and voila! No raccoon eyes, no burning, no problem!
I've listed so many great things about coconut oil but I forgot to mention the best thing about it: the price. Coconut oil is SUPER affordable. And considering it takes the place of your moisturizer, massage oil, eye makeup remover, etc... you're gonna save some serious money. You can find coconut oil everywhere, even your local grocery store. Personally, I buy mine from The All Natural Face. They offer different sizes (.5 oz, 1 2 and 4 oz.) with prices ranging from $2-$8. I go organic as often as possible, and I love that theirs is organic.